Boxing Wladimir Klitschko on Tyson Fury doping allegations

Tyson Fury faces a hearing over alleged doping offences, but Wladimir Klitschko is not concerned he could be using drugs for their fight.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Wladimir Klitschko is not concerned about the possibility of Tyson Fury using performance-enhancing drugs during their world heavyweight title rematch on October 29.

Fury overcame Klitschko in Dusseldorf last November to take his WBA and WBO belts, and their July rematch was cancelled after the Brit sprained his ankle.

It also emerged Fury had been handed a provisional suspension for an alleged drugs violation by UK Anti-Doping, though this has since been lifted and he will face a hearing in November.

But Klitschko is not worried Fury could be using banned substances ahead of their meeting in Manchester due to the drug testing procedure in place.

He told Omnisport: "I just wish the best of health and luck in preparation for Fury and I just really look forward, like many boxing fans, to see eventually this fight and this revenge.

"Now as the part of our contractual obligations both sides need to take random testing, WADA random testing, so I'm not concerned about anything and just focusing on the fight."

Despite his advancing years, Klitschko, who turns 41 in March, has no imminent plans to retire following the upcoming bout.

"Retiring is not a question right now," he continued. "Even if I'm a challenger right now and not a champion, I'm enjoying being in sports and performing and taking certain risks and taking these opportunities and taking revenge because not many people have this chance.

"I have this chance to make it clear and say there was a mistake [in the last fight] with a positive result. I'm looking forward to being active and fight on October 29 and no fuss about retirement."

Fury failed to show up for a media conference with Klitschko on Monday after his car broke down en route to the venue, and Klitschko admitted he still has doubts that the fight will go ahead when planned.

"I had to do this press conference to show the public this fight is going to happen, so hopefully on the 29th of October nothing is going to get broken with Fury as it was previously, with his ankle or his car or whatever, so I hope he's going to be in the best state and we eventually meet in Manchester at his home and fight," he said.

"Whatever is going to come up, I'm just remaining calm and waiting for my chance and my opportunity.

"A lot has been said and it's enough. I prefer it if my fists will say more on fight night. Nothing counts but performance in the ring."

Download our mobile app today.

Android - Google Play Store

iPhone - Apple App Store

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos