Election 2016 Don't lose hope - EC tells disqualified aspirants

Speaking at a media engagement in Tamale, a Deputy Commissioner of the commission, Mr Amadu Sulley said the EC acted in accordance with the law in its decision to disqualify the said aspirants and would therefore do same if the law states otherwise.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Electoral Commission has assured the disqualified presidential aspirants in this year’s election that all hope is not lost for them as the Commission is ready to accept their candidature if compelled by a court to do so.

Speaking at a media engagement in Tamale, a Deputy Commissioner of the commission, Mr Amadu Sulley said the EC acted in accordance with the law in its decision to disqualify the said aspirants and would therefore do same if the law states otherwise.

The EC, last week Monday, announced the disqualification of 12 aspirants for failing to meet the criteria for filing as president.

READ ALSO: Full Text: EC reveals official reasons for disqualifying 12 aspirants

The presidential nominees disqualified included flag bearer of the All People’s Congress (APC), Hassan Ayariga; Dr Edward Mahama of the People’s National Convention (PNC); Dr Agyenim Boateng of the United Front Party (UFP); and Kofi Akpaloo of the Independent People’s Party (IPP); Kwabena Adjei of the Reformed Patriotic Democrats (RPD).

The others include: Dr Henry Herbert Lartey of the Great Consolidated Popular Party (GCPP); Mr Richard Nixon Tetteh (United Development Systems Party); Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings of the National Democratic Party (NDP); Thomas Ward-Brew of the Democratic People’s Party (DPP); Alfred Kwame Asiedu Walker, an independent candidate, and Akua Donkor of the Ghana Freedom Party (GFP). Mr Akwasi Addae Odike of the United Progressive Party’s nomination is on hold pending a court case.

Many, including the PPP, NDP, GCPP have filed suits against the EC for disqualifying them.

But Mr Amadu Sulley said the EC is not perturbed by the lawsuits filed by most of the disqualified candidates.

The media interaction was jointly organised by the EC and the Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA) to enable media practitioners in the region to interact with the EC officials in order to have a better understanding of the work of the commission.

The Executive Director of MFWA, Mr Sulemana Braimah, asked the media to ensure free, fair and credible elections this year.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos





Top Articles

1 Confusion in NDC Kwesi Pratt drops bombshell: 15 interested in NDC...bullet
2 Ambassadorial Appointments Nana Addo names ambassadors for UK, China,...bullet
3 Aftermath of Election Kwabena Adjei reveals why NDC lost election 2016bullet
4 NDC Defeat I had doubts about Mahama's leadership style - Woyongobullet
5 Election Defeat NDC will remain in opposition for a long time...bullet
6 Anger NDC will collapse if I drop bomb - Allotey Jacobsbullet
7 Ashanti Region REGSEC coordinator attacked by NPP macho menbullet
8 AMA Sowah confirmed as Accra Mayorbullet
9 Politics in Ghana Matilda Amissah-Arthur more political...bullet
10 Bickering Kwesi Botchwey committee calls for truce in NDCbullet

Top Videos

1 New Government Swearing in of Nana Akufo-Addo and Dr Bawumiabullet
2 Video What Ghanaians are saying about Agyarko's bribery allegation casebullet
3 Ghana Elections Long queues at polling centres several hours before...bullet
4 Election 2016 IGP is an 'asshole' - Ken Agyapongbullet
5 Election 2016 T.B Joshua in Ghana to subvert election 2016 -...bullet
6 Watch Gbese Mantse vows to abdicate if Nana Addo winsbullet
7 Election 2016 NPP does not want Nana Addo scrutinised –...bullet
8 Election 2016 I'll vote for Mahama - Nyaho Tamakloebullet

Politics