Simone Gbagbo I. Coast's ex-first lady clashes with judge at trial

  • Published: , Refreshed:

Simone Gbagbo's trial began on May 31. She is accused of involvement in the shelling of Abobo, a northern suburb of the capital Abidjan, which was a Ouattara stronghold.

24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!
Former Ivorian first lady Simone Gbagbo (L) talks to her lawyer at the Abidjan's courthouse on October 10, 2016 before the re-opening of her trial, during which she was prevented from leaving the courtroom by military police November 29, 2016 play

Former Ivorian first lady Simone Gbagbo (L) talks to her lawyer at the Abidjan's courthouse on October 10, 2016 before the re-opening of her trial, during which she was prevented from leaving the courtroom by military police November 29, 2016

(AFP)

Ivory Coast's former first lady Simone Gbagbo and the judge trying her for crimes against humanity clashed Tuesday, with military police forced to prevent her from leaving the courtroom.

"Where are you going? Stop her" the court president Boiqui Kouadjo told gendarmes as Gbagbo left the witness box to follow her lawyer who exited the Abidjan courtroom in protest against the proceedings.

Gbagbo refused to sit down.

"Condemn me if you want, but I'm tired of this. It's nonsense," she said before being admonished by the judge for talking to him "in that tone".

Simone Gbagbo is the wife of former Ivory Coast president Laurent Gbagbo, who was forced from power in 2011 by current incumbent Alassane Ouattara, who had won presidential elections five months previously -- the results of which his predecessor rejected.

Simone Gbagbo's trial began on May 31. She is accused of involvement in the shelling of Abobo, a northern suburb of the capital Abidjan, which was a Ouattara stronghold.

She is also accused of being a member of a "crisis cell" that allegedly coordinated attacks by the armed forces and militias in support of Gbagbo.

She is already serving a 20-year sentence for "endangering state security".

Tuesday's exchanges began after the court rejected a defence request for high-profile witnesses to be called, including parliament's speaker, a former prime minister and a former army chief.

The trial had resumed Monday after being suspended for two weeks.

The court is scheduled to sit again on Wednesday but it was unclear whether the defence team would return to the proceedings.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos





Top Articles

1 International Relations France to relocate Embassy in Ghanabullet
2 No Jobs Over 1m Ghanaians are unemployed - Surveybullet
3 Migration Crisis Over 200 Ghanaians transiting from Cuba to USA strandedbullet
4 Nkonya Terminator "I am not afraid of death" - Kwabena Adjeibullet
5 Security Ghana Armed Forces resumes 2017 recruitment exercisebullet
6 Warning Angry Bunso youth threaten to block Accra-Kumasi highwaybullet
7 Dr Mahamudu Bawumia Veep pays surprise visit to Passport Officebullet
8 Kintampo waterfalls accident Angry gods caused Kintampo...bullet
9 Foreign Affairs Ministry does not have money – Ayorkor...bullet
10 Galamsey 5 illegal Chinese miners arrested for mining...bullet

Top Videos

1 Video Metro Mass bus catches fire on Cape Coast-Kasoa highwaybullet
2 Ghana@60 Agya Koo embarrassed Ghana at Independence Day - Asiedu Nketiabullet
3 Prophecy I predicted Kintampo accident - Prophetbullet
4 Obinim What happen'd when we fact checked Obinim's Bible knowledgebullet
5 In Zimbabwe President Mugabe’s 70 year-old aide marries his...bullet
6 Health Alert Fufu is killing Africans - Mensah Otabilbullet
7 Watch Kumchacha delivers Counselor Lutterodt from 'demons'bullet
8 Video Taxi driver terrified after an encounter with a ghostbullet
9 Meet "The Beast" President Obama's Cadillac that's more...bullet
10 Video Police officer attacked at Flagstaff Housebullet

News