NSS Scandal BNI Recovers GH¢15m From Indicted NSS Officials

About GH¢15 million was recovered by the BNI in an investigation at the National Service Scheme.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) has made a major breakthrough in its investigations into the scandal at the National Service Scheme (NSS) with the recovery if GH¢15 million.

So far, 171 individuals, including the former Executive Director of the NSS, Alhaji Imoro Alhassan, have been implicated in the scandal.

Some of the implicated directors have entered into an agreement with the BNI and are currently refunding the money, which is part of the amounts paid to 30,816 non-existent national service persons from September 2013 to August 2014

Information gathered by the Daily Graphic which first broke the scandal in October last year, indicated that the fraud was perpetuated through mandatory, voluntary and overpayment of returns.

The breakdown shows that 29,358 ghost names were generated for the mandatory scheme, while 853 and 605 names were generated for the voluntary and overpayment returns respectively.

BNI sources have declined to give out the names of the directors who are refunding the amounts, in their bid not to breach the agreement between the BNI and the directors.

“We are focusing on retrieving the money and that is exactly what we are achieving. It is important the state recoup all the embezzled funds,” a BNI source told the Daily Graphic in an exclusive interview in Accra at the weekend.

Regional and district directors of the NSS have a total liability of GH¢49 million, while directors at the NSS headquarters are liable to refund GH¢31.1 million.

While assuring Ghanaians of the resolve of the BNI to retrieve all lost funds to the state, the source said, “We are still recouping the money and we urge Ghanaians to be patient and allow us to do our work diligently.”

“Trust us to protect the public purse,” it said.

Alhaji Imoro is currently standing trial at the Financial Division of the High Court and has pleaded not guilty of the charge of stealing GH¢86.9 million.

He has been granted bail in the sum of GH¢90 million, with three sureties, all to be justified, with property valued at more than one million Ghana cedis.

He is to reappear in court on March 12, 2015.

Source: Daily Graphic

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos





Top Articles

1 International Relations France to relocate Embassy in Ghanabullet
2 No Jobs Over 1m Ghanaians are unemployed - Surveybullet
3 Migration Crisis Over 200 Ghanaians transiting from Cuba to USA strandedbullet
4 Security Ghana Armed Forces resumes 2017 recruitment exercisebullet
5 Kintampo waterfalls accident Angry gods caused Kintampo tree...bullet
6 Warning Angry Bunso youth threaten to block Accra-Kumasi highwaybullet
7 Nkonya Terminator "I am not afraid of death" - Kwabena Adjeibullet
8 Galamsey 5 illegal Chinese miners arrested for mining...bullet
9 Foreign Affairs Ministry does not have money – Ayorkor...bullet
10 Allowance National Service Scheme denies increasing...bullet

Top Videos

1 Video Metro Mass bus catches fire on Cape Coast-Kasoa highwaybullet
2 Ghana@60 Agya Koo embarrassed Ghana at Independence Day - Asiedu Nketiabullet
3 Prophecy I predicted Kintampo accident - Prophetbullet
4 Obinim What happen'd when we fact checked Obinim's Bible knowledgebullet
5 In Zimbabwe President Mugabe’s 70 year-old aide marries his...bullet
6 Health Alert Fufu is killing Africans - Mensah Otabilbullet
7 Video Taxi driver terrified after an encounter with a ghostbullet
8 Watch Kumchacha delivers Counselor Lutterodt from 'demons'bullet
9 Meet "The Beast" President Obama's Cadillac that's more...bullet
10 Video Police officer attacked at Flagstaff Housebullet

News