Intervention Residents of Esreso rescue boy, 6, from raging fire

The bravery of the residents, which saw them running from their respective homes with buckets of water to douse the flames also helped to prevent an extensive damage to the property.

  • Published:
Some residents of Esreso helping to quench the fire play

Some residents of Esreso helping to quench the fire

24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The timely intervention of some residents at Ophelia Junction at Esreso in the Bosomtwe District in the Ashanti Region saved the life of a six-year-old boy who was asleep in a house that had caught fire around 9a.m.

Identified only as Chris, the mother had left him alone in the house. He was rescued by the residents who managed to put out the fire before personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service arrived at the scene 30 minutes later.

The bravery of the residents, which saw them running from their respective homes with buckets of water to douse the flames also helped to prevent an extensive damage to the property.

Rescue team   

According to Anti Obaa Yaa, who rescued the six-year-old boy, she was in the area to buy food and saw smoke coming from the roof of the house.

Together with the food seller, Adiza, they gathered courage and moved into the building to rescue the boy whose mother, Abena Boatemaa, had gone out to buy food items.

Obaa Yaa told the Daily Graphic that when she entered the house, the small boy mistook her for a thief and said he was going to tell his mother she was in the house to steal.

Eyewitness account  

Some residents suspected electric power fluctuations in the area might have caused the fire but a bar attendant, Ms Gladys Nortey, who also helped to quench the fire, disagreed and said the electric power in the area had been stable last Thursday.

Mother of boy

The victim, Abena Boatemaa, said she was out of the house for about 15 minutes and returned to see the house engulfed in fire.

She expressed surprise and said the room from where the fire was suspected to have started belonged to her parents who lived outside Ghana and that she hardly went to that room.

She said she had lost valuable items worth thousands of cedis but was grateful that nothing happened to her son.

She explained that they had been living in the house for about 11 years together with her brother, a banker, who at the time of the incident had gone to work.

Credit: graphic.com.gh

Download our mobile app today.

Android - Google Play Store

iPhone - Apple App Store

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos





Top Articles

1 Women’s March Women in Accra march against Donald Trumpbullet
2 Vetting Ablakwa replies Osafo Marfo over 'small boy' commentbullet
3 Photo Duncan Williams leads prayers at Donald Trump's inauguration...bullet
4 Homosexuality Dag Heward-Mills’ anti-gay sermon causes controversy...bullet
5 Yahya Jammeh Devout and erratic ex-leader of The Gambiabullet
6 Koforidua Ghanass student killed after tree falls on him; 6...bullet
7 Leadership UN appoints ex-president Mahama to top positionbullet
8 Fired! We will ‘definitely lay off’ people appointed in...bullet
9 Social media reaction Dag Heward-Mills' anti-gay sermon...bullet
10 Judicial Service State Attorneys resume duty after...bullet

Top Videos

1 In Zimbabwe President Mugabe’s 70 year-old aide marries his 23-year-old...bullet
2 Refugee Ghanaian to lose fingers after 7-hour trek to cross US borderbullet
3 Vitiligo Enam Honya - is challenging what you think about beautybullet
4 Obinim What happen'd when we fact checked Obinim's Bible knowledgebullet
5 Obinim saga We had sex only once - Obinim victims confessbullet
6 Kwame Nkrumah Interchange Water leaks from hole in wall at new...bullet
7 Watch Kumchacha delivers Counselor Lutterodt from 'demons'bullet
8 Video Taxi driver terrified after an encounter with a ghostbullet
9 Meet Aisha the female mate who aspires to be a driverbullet
10 Bishop Obinim Saga Teenagers disciplined by Obinim...bullet

News