Clash No death recorded in Ketu South salt mining conflict

Mr Lamptey said the miners claimed that the salt mining concession, has been given out to the Indian company without any consultation with the indigenes

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Mr Pascal Lamptey, Ketu South Municipal Chief Executive, has refuted allegations that there was loss of life when a group of local salt miners clashed with workers of Kensington Industries Limited, an India Salt Company.

The incident which took place on December 2, between Kpedzakope and Adina in the Municipality was reported in the media that one person died as a results of the conflicts and that four of the rioters sustained rubber pellet injuries and were rushed to the hospital for treatment.

Speaking in an interview with the Ghana News Agency at a tour in the municipality with the Third World Network, and National Coalition on Mining, a non-governmental organisation, Mr Lamptey urged the Police to ensure that the perpetrators are brought to book to serve as deterrent to offenders.

He explained that the incident happened when the Indian company, started constructing a road to pass through some of the salt ponds of the local miners.

He said the miners objected to the plan, since it would affect their source of livelihood.

Mr Lamptey said the miners claimed that the salt mining concession, has been given out to the Indian company without any consultation with the indigenes and that the 600 meters given them was small.

He said as a result of the disagreement, the local salt miners intensified their protest by attacking some of the workers of the Indian company and burning an excavator and a tipper truck belonging to the company.

Assistant Superintendent of Police Moses Naa-Kolgo Agbegne, the Agbozume District Police Commander, explained that the Keta Police Divisional Commander was hit on the head with an object by one of the rioters, while another took the Commander’s duty pistol and tried to shoot him at close range, but did not succeed as the gun was locked.

He said so far 16 people have been arrested and processed for court.

The Klikor Somey Youth Association in the Municipality is calling on government to disclose how the land was acquired by the India company, the transactions involved and documents relevant to the release of the land especially terms of reference including the local content provisions.

Source: GNA

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos





Top Articles

1 GAF Ghana Armed Forces opens 2017/2018 recruitmentbullet
2 In Uganda Woman 37, has 38 childrenbullet
3 VIDEO & PHOTOS Fire guts Dr. Nduom's Coconut Groove Regency Hotelbullet
4 Regency Hotel fire outbreak Fire Service brought empty fire...bullet
5 Galamsey in Ghana Minister sacks nine mine inspectorsbullet
6 Security Ghana Armed Forces resumes 2017 recruitment exercisebullet
7 Coconut Grove Fire April has been one of the most difficult...bullet
8 Dud Cheques Ibrahim Mahama ordered by EOCO to pay state...bullet
9 Fire Outbreak We didn't send empty fire tenders to...bullet
10 Made in Ghana Okyenhene purchases customised Kantanka SUVbullet

Top Videos

1 TRAGEDY Fire guts Coconut Grove Hotelbullet
2 Watch Stop taking collection in churches -TB Joshua to Pastorsbullet
3 Ghana@60 Agya Koo embarrassed Ghana at Independence Day - Asiedu Nketiabullet
4 Prophecy I predicted Kintampo accident - Prophetbullet
5 Nigerians stop deportation of chained compatriot in KLM flightbullet
6 In Zimbabwe President Mugabe’s 70 year-old aide marries his...bullet
7 Woyome Judgement Debt Kweku Baako dances over Amidu's winbullet
8 Health Alert Fufu is killing Africans - Mensah Otabilbullet
9 Twitter Reacts Pepsi faces backlash over silly advertbullet
10 Vitiligo Enam Honya - is challenging what you think...bullet

News