Blatter unexpectedly resigned in the wake of a reported corruption scandal at FIFA.
Former Brazilian footballer, Arthur Antunes Coimbra, popularly known as Zico says he is considering running for the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) presidency.
The 62-year-old Zico, who played in three World Cups, served as Brazil's sports minister in the 1990s and has decades of experience at all levels of the game including management stints in Japan, Turkey, Russia, Greece and the Middle East said even though he does not have any support yet, he is ready and willing to contest for the position.
"Why not?" he asked in a Facebook post from Berlin where he attend Saturday's Champions League Final.
"My life has always been in football. It's a passion I served with seriousness and respect in Brazil and other countries."
"I was Sports Minister, I have experience with my club and in helping Kashima in Japan. I put football above politics."
"I don't have any support yet but if it's opened up then I can run (for president) of Fifa. It's just an idea for now ... But who knows?"
BBC presenter and CNN World Sport writer, Piers Edwards in a tweet also affirmed Zico’s intentions.
Zico tells BBC he plans to stand as a candidate in the #FIFA Presidential election. "I believe that now the race is open to everybody."
The FIFA presidency is vacant following Sepp Blatters resignation. Blatter unexpectedly resigned in the wake of a reported corruption scandal at FIFA. Last week, several of FIFA’s leading officials, including Vice-president Jeffrey Webb, were arrested in a dawn raid at the luxury lakeside hotel in Zurich.
They were detained pending extradition to the United States where they face federal corruption charges, including suspected bribery in the awarding of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.