Five men were charged on Thursday in connection with an attack on Garissa University in Kenya that killed 148 students.
Five men detained in connection with the Garissa university attack in Kenya, in which 148 people were killed, have been charged with terrorism-related offences.
The suspects are the first people to be formally charged over the massacre on 2 April - the deadliest so far by the Somalia-based militant Islamist group al-Shabab - which sent the nation into mourning.
The names of the victims were all read out in court, the AFP news agency reports.
The effects of the assault are still being felt in Garissa County, where almost two-thirds of schools have had to shut because students, many from other regions, are not willing to go to school there any more, regional officials said.
Four men from Kenya and one from Tanzania were charged in court for conspiring to commit "a terrorist act at Garissa University College" and other related offences, court documents showed.
They are the first people to face formal charges over the attack.
Chief Magistrate Daniel Ogembo told the Nairobi court that a hearing would be held on July 11 to rule on whether to grant bail to the men accused of involvement in the attack, the worst since al Qaeda bombed the U.S. embassy in Kenya in 1998.