There is a possible cholera outbreak after the flood disaster that hit part of the country.
The Ministry of Health has warned of a possible cholera outbreak in Accra due to the insanitary conditions in the capital coupled with the onset of rain that flooded the city.
The ministry said it is on alert and ready to prevent any possible cholera outbreak due to the floods.
Health Minister, Alex Segbefia in an interview with Citi FM said, “Because of the nature of the amount of water that has flowed, we should also start planning or taking preventive action for the likes of cholera so that we will not be caught in the same way that we were in the past.”
Last year some hospitals in the metropolis created isolation centres to handle cholera cases after an outbreak killed about two hundred and forty-nine people.
As of January 16, 2015, a total of 29,248 cases, including 243 deaths (Case fatality rate of 0.8%), have been reported from 130 out of the 216 districts (60%) in all the 10 regions of the country.