While there are meant to be lions hiding out in Mole National Park, you'd be lucky to see them. They are more common in East and Southern Africa. If you ever get a chance to meet one, here are ten facts worth knowing about these big cats.
- The lioness does all the hunting, unlike most animals that the males find food.
- A lion sleeps 16 hours a day, this is twice the recommended time for humans to sleep.
- A lion’s roar can travel 8km/h: that is almost half of the Accra-Tema motorway
- A lion sees seven times better than a human in the night.
- Lions can go without water for five days. Not humans, we are likely to die.
- Lions attack elephants when food is scarce
- The life span of a lion is between 10-14 years
- Mating takes place yearly amongst lions
- The lion will always bite the females in the neck during mating. This they do to remind them of their love for the lioness.
- Their sexual maturity is between 2-4 years. Lions can start engaging in sexual acts when they turn four.
Download our mobile app today.
Android - Google Play Store
iPhone - Apple App Store