How Safe Is Your Phone? iPhone Explodes In A Man's Pocket

An iPhone exploded in a man's pocket leaving him some severe injuries on his thigh

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

A New York man has thigh burns after his iPhone 5C suddenly exploded in his pocket during a funeral vigil.

According to ABC News, Erik Johnson had to spend ten days at a specialist burns unit after the mobile melted through his trousers and stuck to his skin on Valentine's Day. 

Mr Johnson, from Long Island, New York, said he was bending over to get the keys when he heard a 'pop'.

Scroll down for video 

'My leg just started going on fire,' he told ABC.

'I had to rip my pants off. A couple of people actually said they could smell my body burning.

'It felt like when you're branding a bull or something like that.' 

Mr Johnson was left with a huge wound on his upper left thigh and now has to have his bandages changed twice a day by nurses.

One picture of the phone shows how high temperatures caused its metal case to weld with the plastic, as well as warping the screen.

Experts have said the phones can explode if their circuit boards are damaged or a different charger is used.

Experts have said the phones can explode if their circuit boards are damaged or a different charger is used. But Mr Johnson insists he was using the correct charger - and is now suing the company

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos