A teenager died using a kerosene lamp for lighting while pouring petrol from a bottle into a gallon.
A 16-year-old student reportedly met his untimely death after a fuel container exploded at Newtown, a suburb of Ashaiman in the Greater Accra Region.
Abdul Raman Taurfiq’s tragic death occurred when he allegedly attempted using kerosene lamp for lighting when he mistakenly poured petrol from a bottle into a gallon as a result of the blackout experienced in the area.
Wild fire was said to have sparked which burned his face and legs after the gallon had caught fire in his hands. He was rushed to the Tema General Hospital for immediate medical attention but passed on whiles on admission.
The body of Raman has been buried according to the tenets of Islam. Family of the deceased is tight-lipped about the incident but a source close to the family told DAILY GUIDE the circumstances leading to the tragedy last Tuesday at about 10:30 pm.
According to the information gathered, the uncle of the deceased owns a public toilet in the area which the deceased operates often after school hours and tidies the place up after the day’s business.
During one of the cleanings the deceased after pouring some of the petrol – that was often used to reduce the bad odour in the cesspit – into the hole, allegedly decided to pour the remaining petrol from a bottle into a storage gallon but as a result of the blackout, decided to use a kerosene lantern so he could see the open space of the gallon before pouring the petrol into it.
The fire occurred as a result, leading to his death.
Source: Daily Guide