When it comes to crazy stories of people drinking too much alcohol, this might be the craziest of all as an Australian man got drunk and chewed his beer bottle.
A perilous party-trick backfired when a man was hospitalised after swallowing a beer bottle at a family get together.
Northern Territory Police Superintendent Louise Jorgensen said police received an emergency call just after 9 p.m. Wednesday about a man at a family gathering in Wagaman who chewd and swallowed a glass beer bottle “and then went for a lie down."
"His family then called police and St. John [Ambulance], and he was taken to Royal Darwin Hospital," Jorgensen said.
Jorgensen said the call was one of 500 made to police between 3 p.m. and 11 p.m. Wednesday. She said drunken hijinks such as the bottle-eating man are a drain on police resources.
"People are dismayed when we can't respond to their jobs immediately, but this is why -- because of all these other jobs that are coming in," she said.
"We got 500 calls [Wednesday] evening, and about 450 on Tuesday," Jorgensen said. "Most of them are domestics, or anti-social and drunk behavior."