Careless Babysitter Toddler Dies After Drinking Babysitter’s Methadone-Laced Grape Soda

The babysitter took the boy to a Birmingham hospital Friday night, but took him home shortly after, AL.com reported. She rushed him back to a children’s hospital when he became unresponsive later, police said.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Alabama police says A  2-year-old toddler has died after he drank his babysitter’s methadone-laced grape soda.

Bessemer Police charged 31-year-old Cassie Townsend with chemical endangerment exposure to a child resulting in death after little Demonie Hendon died last Saturday, WBRC reported.

According to New York Daily, Townsend was watching Demonie on Friday night when she noticed her soda bottle filled with methadone, a medication used to reduce heroin and narcotic withdrawal symptoms, wasn’t where she left it, she told police.

She found a sick-looking Demonie, and suspected the tot drank from the bottle, she said.

The babysitter took the boy to a Birmingham hospital Friday night, but took him home shortly after, AL.com reported. She rushed him back to a children’s hospital when he became unresponsive later, police said.

Townsend was initially charged with child endangerment, but her charged were updated when Demonie died in the hospital Saturday. He would have turned three this Saturday.

Police are waiting on toxicology test results to confirm that the grape soda had the drug in it. That report could take several weeks.

Methadone is typically dispensed at a clinic and is meant to be swallowed on-site, not taken away from the facility, police said.

Recommended Articles

Recommended Videos