A 21-year-old student ‘burned up from the inside’ after swallowing a highly-toxic substance known as Dinitrophenol.
The mother of a student thought to have taken "highly toxic" diet pills bought online has appealed to others not to consume them.
According to news.com.au reports, Eloise Parry died when her metabolism went into overdrive and her heart stopped from taking Dinitrophenol, or DNP.
Her devastated mother, Fiona, has warned of the dangers of the drug, saying doctors at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in Britain’s Shropshire “never had a chance” of saving her beloved daughter.
Eloise Parry drove herself to hospital after she began feeling unwell around midday on April 12, her mother told The Sun.
Staff performed a toxicity test on the Glyndwr University student — tragically, she had swallowed eight diet pills, six more than a lethal dose.
“She had taken so much DNP that the consequences were inevitable. They never stood a chance of saving her. She burned and crashed,” Ms Parry told The Sun.
“She never intended to take her own life. She just never really understood how dangerous the tablets that she took were.
“Most of us don’t believe that a slimming tablet could possibly kill us. DNP is not a miracle slimming pill. It is a deadly toxin.”
Eloise was believed to have bought the pills online where they retail for around $200.
West Mercia Police are conducting a full investigation into the causes of the student’s death.