Minerals Commission Illegal miners exit Obuasi mine

In February, the illegal miners overrun the mining concession of Anglogold after the latter attempted to restructure the operation and fired more than 4,000 workers.

  • Published:
play Illegal miners
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Minerals Commission says it has exited over 3,000 illegal miners from AngloGold Ashanti's (AGA) operation area.

It Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Tony Aubynn, said the illegal miners have been relocated to a concession AngloGold released to the government.

READ MORE: Illegal miners are ready to die for galamsey – Kwesi Aning

“We are happy to announce that as at Friday Nov. 25, 2016, all informal miners have been successfully moved from the previously occupied areas of AGAG’s concession," Mr Aubynn said a media briefing.

“At the end of the relocation about 3,350 informal miners have been relocated from the AGAG concession to the northern part of the ceded area comprising Abedwum, Adumanu and Jacobu.”

In February, the illegal miners overrun the mining concession of AngloGold after the latter attempted to restructure the operation and sacked over 4,000 workers.

The world third-largest producer of bullion had repeated as the government to intervene but to no avail.

READ MORE:Chinese woman destroying farmlands in Amansie with galamsey

In May, it logged a case against the Government of Ghana with the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes in Washington.

Having successfully relocated all illegal miners from AgloGold's site, Mr Aubynn said the company will seal off all the evacuated areas and permanently secure these areas to prevent future invasions whilst the military and police personnel continue to provide security.

Recommended Articles